After signing up for your Spanish lessons in Buenos Aires it is time to start preparing your trip to Argentina. This is half the fun! Here are 5 usefull tips about how to best prepare your stay in the beautiful city of Buenos Aires.
1. Did you think you already knew quite some Spanish? Think again! Argentine Spanish is a bit different. The ‘sh’, ‘ll’ and ‘y’ are pronounced as ‘sh’ in “shop”. So instead of saying “yo me llamo” (my name is), Argentinans will say: Sho me shamo. It will be written the same though.
2. Having cash Dollars or Euros in Argentina will make you a slight bit richer. Paying by depit card or using the ATM, you will get 11 Argentinan Pesos for 1 Dollar. When you pay in cash however 1 Dollar will be worth 14 Argentinan Pesos. The same goes for the Euro. Paying in cash pays off.
3. Before starting your Buenos Aires adventure, download the app ‘BA Cómo Llego’ on your smartphone. This application will guide you from one place to another all over Buenos Aires. All routes and possibilities of the public transport are shown to make your trip easier.
4. Not many people in Buenos Aires do speak English. This of course is a good way to force yourself to practice your Spanish and to learn loads of Spanish. If you do not speak a word of Spanish upon arrival bring a Language Guide of Latin America. This will help you ask for the way and order drinks during the first days, before you Spanish course starts.
5. Ready to start your flight to Buenos Aires and wandering around at the airport, you might as well spend 5 minutes to have your bag sealed. Upon arrival in Buenos Aires, you are first directed through emigration. Passing this part you will get to the baggage carousel. After collecting your bag you go through customs. Here your luggage will be scanned. This means that in the meantime other people can enter your suitcase. Having your bag sealed will prevent other people from going through your stuff.
Enjoy your Spanish studies in Argentina and your stay in stunning Buenos Aires!